Burn Permits for the City of Kingston, Tennessee are required 365 days a year.

Burn Permits are free. Burning without a valid permit may result in a fine.

Burn Permits are issued only on the day of the burn. Kingston fire department monitors wind and the Relative Humidity (RH) on a day to day basis. If the conditions are deemed unsafe by KFD or by the State Division of Forestry, burning will not be permitted inside the City of Kingston.

If you are burning a brush pile that exceeds the size of 8ft by 8ft, you must CALL KFD for a permit. (865-376-2936)

If you live outside the city limits of Kingston, you must call 865-354-1054 or visit for a burning permit.


Careless debris burning is a major cause of wildland fires. Please exercise extreme caution while doing outdoor burning.

  • Avoid burning when weather is dry and windy.
  • Establish wide control lines down to bare mineral soil at least five feet wide around any burn barrels and even wider around brush piles and other piled debris to be burned. The larger the debris pile, the wider the control line needed to ensure that burning materials won’t be blown or roll off the pile into vegetation outside the line.
  • Keep water and hand tools ready in case your fire should spread.
  • Stay with all outdoor fires until they are completely out.
  • Avoid burning when your smoke will be bothersome to neighbors or sensitive locations such as highways.

Items that are NOT legal to burn in Tennessee:

  • Tires & other Rubber Products
  • Plastics
  • Paper products & cardboard
  • Paints & Chemicals
  • Aerosol and Food cans
  • Mobile Homes & Buildings
  • Building materials
  • Copper & electrical wires
  • Household trash & garbage
  • Leaves & trees not grown at burn site
  • Asphalt shingles & oils
  • Clothing & furniture
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt