Be a Volunteer
The City of Kingston Fire Department is staffed with career firefighters 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year! However, our department is unique because we also have volunteer firefighters on our roster. This makes us a “Combination Department.” We rely heavily on our volunteers to aid in fire suppression and rescues. Additionally, our volunteers are provided with training needed to become state certified in firefighting. Each volunteer applicant is reviewed by our department’s volunteer board and then presented to our City Manager for approval.
Interested in becoming a volunteer? Here is what you need to know:
- You must be at least 18 years of age, possess a valid driver license and can pass a back-ground check.
- You must be physically fit, as firefighting is a very physically strenuous activity.
- You must be a team-oriented, and process a strong work ethic.
- You must complete 16 hours of Stand-By time at either station a month and attend regular department trainings.
- Facial hair must not be present on or below the jaw-line while on duty or at any scene that requires a Self Contained Breathing Apparatus to be worn.